Tórshavn received municipal autonomy in 1866, and became the first municipality of the Faroe Islands. In 1872, the entire archipelago was divided into municipalities, which initially were the prerogatives of the individual priesthoods. Tórshavn retained its municipality's autonomy granted through a special act. Until the mid-20th century a number of parishes were divorced as own municipalities. So far, the last municipal division took place in 1954, when Hósvík was divorced from Hvalvik. In Suðuroy and Sandoy, the municipalities have been unchanged since 1928 and 1930. Since the beginning of the 1990s, several governments have been aiming to reduce the number of municipalities in order to delegate more tasks.  In 1998, a government-commissioned commission adopted a recommended minimum requirement of 2,000 inhabitants to be a municipality. In 2005 and 2009, 21 municipalities collaborated with one or more neighboring municipalities.